How We Know It Works:
We support teachers in developing their expertise in rigorous evidence-based and research-validated methods, including Content Coaching, classroom discourse development, robust lesson design and reflection, and refinement of teacher pedagogy. We can measure and assess outcomes in a number of ways:
- In daily practice, we see:
- Teachers asking students to work on more complex tasks and projects that are just hard enough to stretch them.
- Teachers increasing their use of academic discourse in classrooms and creating a culture of discourse.
- A focus on the instructional core—teachers selecting, designing and/or adapting and implementing conceptually focused lessons that develop big ideas, strategies and mathematical modeling—with teachers striving to ensure that all students have access to quality instruction. (This requires support from principals and district administrators.)
- A willingness to learn and collaborate together in the study of teaching itself. (This requires support from principals and district administrators.)
- Over time, we see the following types of development:
- Growth in student contributions and responses in discussion, in writing, and in approaches to mathematical tasks.
- More rigor and richness in the quality of tasks and projects that teachers assign and more attention to ensuring that all students have access to and/or are challenged by the task.
- Student improvement on standardized tests that accurately measure mathematical growth.
- Over time, we see the following types of development in artifacts of practice:
- Improvement in the quality of student work samples (e.g. more reasoning in their writing, clarity of expression, and diagrams and mathematical models used strategically).
- Teacher growth as evidenced by video of classroom interactions that show implementation of learned talk moves, improved use of board space, increased focus on mathematical ideas and a move away from teaching as telling.
We also have testimonials from teachers, coaches, and administrators around the country, and around the world, attesting to Metamorphosis’ role in their professional growth. Our partner schools, districts, teachers, and coaches testify to the many ways that they are enriched by their work with Metamorphosis, our consultants and the resources we share.